Tales of 2015

Copyright: Reema D'souza

When I welcomed 2015 in a quaint little village in Dakshina Kannada, I knew that this year my life was going to change. But what I didn’t know was how the changes would affect me, how I would deal with it and whether the changes would make me or break me. Fast forward to today- the penultimate day of 2015. When I look back at the year gone by, it has been a wonderful journey indeed. There were highs, there were lows but I am happy with the way things have been! I have learned a lot of things and yes I have grown as a person. So let me look back at the things that changed for me in 2015.
1.       Moving to a different city and living by myself
I was born in Mangalore but for most part of my life I have lived in Hubli. And after 22 years of living in the safe confines of my home, I was supposed to move to a new city. On January 1st, 2015 I knew that I would have to move out of my house in the second half of the year but that changed within a few into 2015. It was going to be in February which meant there was hardly any time for me to be mentally prepared for this staying away from home. According to the initial plan, mom was supposed to drop me but my brother’s illness exactly at the time that I was supposed to leave meant that mom couldn’t come. New place, new environment, new job, new people albeit a few familiar faces. It was difficult. I missed mom, the fights with my brother, and the warmth of home. I missed the food that mom cooked, I missed the familiar surroundings, the friendly neighbours. I missed everything! There were times I cried and when I fell sick, all I had were tears in my eyes. Luckily for me, my cousin was there to help me and she took me to the hospital and was with me through the numerous tests that I had to undergo. But I missed mom’s care.
It has been 9 months of staying away from home and the experience has taught me my lessons. I have learned to be responsible. The things that I once took for granted which mom always handled for me, I now had to be responsible for. I learned to do a lot of things, I learned to be strong! A lot of life lessons learned!
2.       My first job
The joy of earning my own bread and butter came earlier than I expected it to. I got to be an intern in the same company where I was to join as a full time employee. The first few days of the internship, I was worried about how things would be. The carefree days of college were over and here I had to be more responsible about the things I did. Initially I found it hard to make friends as there were very few of us interns and most of the people around were experienced people. But once the ice broke, the atmosphere is very friendly! Not only did I learn a lot of technical things, but I learned a lot of life lessons too- of helping others, of working together as a team, of enjoying life but also doing your work well. It has been 6 months of joining as a full time employee and a total of 9 months in the same organization and the journey has been memorable.
3.       Graduation- becoming an Engineer!
One of the best moments of life is when your parents are proud of you. I saw that smile on mom’s face when I graduated. From getting clearing that entrance exam and getting the engineering seat on merit to being a graduate, the journey has been a wonderful one. Those classes that we most of the time slept through, those lab experiments where we struggled to get the correct output, those last minute rush to submit the assignments, the hard work in the last few days of project submissions, studying overnight for the exams- every moment was worth cherishing. Also there were those numerous events and fests that we enthusiastically participated in, the trip that we went to- a lot of beautiful memories! And this beautiful journey came to a close on that graduation day. From being an engineering student to being an engineer, I have indeed come a long way!

These were the three highlights of the year but along with this I also learned a very important lesson. People no matter how close they are to you will someday drift apart. The reasons for this may be numerous. But always be grateful for the people who are still there in your life. And always, yes always make new friends! This was the one of the most important lessons for me. It took me a lot of time to digest the fact that friends who were once very close to me were now no longer as close as they used to be. I cried over this as well. But the only person that I am sure of being with me always is none but me. So I had to put myself together, keep myself busy and stop thinking about things that were wrong and focus on making my life better. And I think that I have succeeded.
Here are the other random things that made my year special:
Ø  Appeared on a TV as I was interviewed by a local news channel during a student conference that I attended.
Ø  Had one of the most memorable birthdays with my choir friends.
Ø  Attended two book launches and met few of my blogger friends.
Ø  Sang for a studio recording
Ø  Picked up a new sport and achieved some sweet victories in it.
Ø  Got to be the maid of honour for my cousin
Ø  And the best of all, my blog- my best friend who has been with me always! Completed a monthly blog challenge, one post short of completing another one, wrote posts that I loved and were loved, saw the page views soar, got listed as one of the best poetry blogs and yes made a lot of blog buddies too. Wonderful year for my blog!
This has been my journey of 2015 and I look forward to 2016 with lots of hopes and dreams! How was 2015 for you? Do let me know. Here is wishing you a bright and prosperous 2016! Happy New Year!

I’m sharing my #TalesOf2015 with BlogAdda
Also linking this post to A look back at A Week for Writing 

Labels: , , , ,